Treatment of anxiety & depression
Regular physical exercise reduces the risk of developing depression.
Whilst there are many studies confirming the physical benefits of exercise, more research is now being focused on the psychological effects of regular physical activity, particularly in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Anxiety and depression are becoming more prevalent due to our busy and stressful lifestyles. Regular physical exercise reduces the risk of developing depression as well as being an effective treatment of depression.
How exercise can treat anxiety and depression:
- Exercise changes endorphin and monoamine (hormone) levels which can improve our moods
- Exercise decrease the levels of Cortisol, the stress hormone produced
- Increases social contact
- Exercise provides a diversion or distraction from negative thoughts
- Assists with positive sleeping patterns
- Increases energy levels
- Increase confidence levels